11-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmc View Post
I didn't detect a massive difference between the modes although almost zero roll in Sport. Handling was ok, superior to the 520d M sport but not as alive as my E90 320d M Sport - Steering the main issue as so artificial.

I think I noticed previously that you had a drive in the new 6 - how would you compare with your 535d M Sport with Adaptive Drive - is there the same body and suspension control? I also felt that turning circle in 6 was better although noticed that it has slightly shorter wheelbase but in general it felt much smaller which I was surprised at and I hardly though about the size difference from my 320d M Sport. Does the 6 have slightly firmer Adaptive Drive setup compared to the 5?
Steering... Well, that's another story and one that has been much debated in other threads. Some like it, others don't and I fall firmly into the latter, but BMW are now producing cars with electric steering so if we want to stay with the brand, we're stuck with this lacklustre/detached/numb feel in all but the M cars.
I've done getting on for 1k miles in the F12 640i and, although I find the steering much as described above, it's a bit better than the F10 and, at the moment, not quite enough to put me off buying a 640d coupé next year, but I'm keeping my options open.
The biggest difference is in the adaptive drive/VDC - all settings are a good notch tighter than in my 535d. In other words, comfort in the 6 is like normal in my 5, progressing up to sport which is more reminiscent of my old E92 330d M Sport and I would prefer it if the 5 was as tight, but I guess the cars are aimed at different markets.
Having said all that, I still consider the AD/VDC package in my 535 to be one of it's best and most used features - after 12k miles I still remain amazed at how flat it is at speed through a series of tight bends.
Appreciate 0