07-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #44
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 2000 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinontoxic View Post
At least they did not use photocopier as Audi does...

haha ya.. when i saw the A5 sportback i was like really?!

ya, IMHO... WAY too closely designed. kudos to Audi if they pull it off and have good sales between all 3 models but like you said with them being photocopies... reminds me too much of what GM did making the exact same vehicle with different badges (this is a little different tho)... and everyone knows how GM is doing right now, and that was a factor in why they went down. i just think those A4, A6 and A5 sportback models make buyers stressed because can't make their mind up. then they go to say BMW and are like ok, i want the 5 series or i want the 3 series which are hugely different and then thye just have to pick what engine and what packages they want from a decently short list. i think BMW does quite a good job of packaging and making it easy for customers so they have less decisions to make. for me personally, i hate it when they offer soo many options and it takes you forever to decide and wonder do i want that, well what if i dont' get that option and get this option instead... hmm.... hmm.. hmm. but when there are less packages, easier decision, less stress (you're spending between like $35,000 and $120,000 and anywhere in that range I think you'd like to make sure you're getting the right one and what you like), and i think more satisfied.

on the other end of the scale, the Aston martins, rolls royce, bentleys, lambos, etc where you can specify exactly what you want down to the stitch color, that works FANTASTICALLY!! they're not mass market cars and owners want their vehicles to stand out and be different and be unique and exactly to their taste. there is a different mentality when purchasing a very expensive, exotic car than purchasing a "lower end" vehicle.

i can see a $120,000 BMW being more "customizable" than say the 3 series but as an overall trend i believe less is more in terms of "options" on vehicles. i think there is an overall trend that the more money ppl pay for something, the more they want to be able to customize and also equally important, the less ppl pay for something, the more they want customization to be simpler.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion!
Appreciate 0