View Single Post
      07-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #38
jferrell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois View Post
Well, you must be a special sales person. The day I can go into a dealership or pretty much any other place with commissioned sales people and have that sales person actually be able to teach me something more about what I am inquiring to purchase; particularly being able to know their product completely and discuss how it relates to other brands, I will happily be willing to pay more and add to their "profit" margin. However, this has not yet happened. I usually ask a few questions at first and quickly realize the individual hardly knows their product, particularly the little nuances that us enthusiasts demand to know. So, I have an entirely different view! I am using these invoice pricing sheets to negotiate the lowest price possible so that I can, in effect, pay myself for all the work I have done in researching and pouring over every detail with the help of others in forums like these. So, until I meet a car sales person that has chosen to know their product and competitor's products inside out (for better or worse on either part) you are going to have to rely on those donkeys that come in pay msrp. Stupid begets stupid, so if you can avoid people like us and make your sales numbers then fill your boots! However, I trust the majority of BMW buyers know a thing or two about the vehicle they are buying. It's a shame that (in my extensive experience) the sales people are not on the same level. BMW needs to either better train their sales staff or restructure commissions such that it emplores these people to want to learn about what they are hawking. There's my 2 cents.
I'll go out on a limb and cry BS to this. I seriously doubt if you meet a CA that was able to best you in his knowledge of the vehicle you'd be willing to pay the 500 to 1000 dollars more then others out there. This is the only industry where the customer feels he can determine a fair price. It's absolute horse crap to be honest, I don't know the profit margins on my gas, my TV, my electric bills or my food. I may try to find it on sale but I still don't know how much they're making over the next guy. In fact the only thing I can tell because of tax records is how much more I paid someone for my house then they paid and I don't really care how much money they make so long as it's in my budget. People scream that information is here to help us "not get ripped off", you mean help you pay as little profit as possible. The same people that go around using "double coupons" and trying to find the best deals are the same ones that get pissed when companies can't afford to pay them raises or cut jobs. It's reciprocal people, I find a way to pay less profit to an establishment, that establishment in turn pays out less to it's employees or suppliers who in turn pay less to my industry. We are in essense screwing ourselves but so short sited we refuse to believe that we as Americans are creating the "poor economy" we so vehemently hate. That being said regardless of the knowledge of the Client Advisor I'll reiterate my original point you'll never pay more because your CA is more knowledgable so what's the motivation on the part of the CA, the dealership or BMW NA to invest that time or money. I spend my time trying to learn as much as possible because I like the product but I've never once had a customer willing to pay a premium for my knowledge of the product, the experience they have in purchasing is an entirely different topic.

Last edited by jferrell; 07-14-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0