United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
SAT Gear Selector Switch retrofit DIY

I got the idea from ShawnSheridan's thread found at:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=660759

I really liked the way that the SAT gear selector switch looked compared to the original version that came in my car.

BLUF: The original came out and the SAT version went in and the car works perfectly. In order to get the cluster's gear indicator to display correctly, my car required some coding.

Part Number 61319251190
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...5&fg=15&hl=300

is a plug-and-play (no coding for function and no new plug) replacement for:

Part Number 61319251186
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...5&fg=15&hl=197

Step-by-step:
Tools needed: TORX 20

1) Pry the center console storage release and lock button's cover off with your fingers. Just pull upward.
2) Slowly lift the entire forward center console decorative panel upward from the rear edge. It pivots on the front edge under the center console.
3) When you meet resistance, stop, and look under the panel. You will see two sets of wires which have three attachment points which must be disconnected.
4) The set on the left is detached by pulling the plug towards the rear of the car. The set on the right is detached by a large plug connected to the bottom of the panel, and a small plug half-way down the larger wire set. Remove the larger plug first and that will ease your removal of the smaller plug from the bundle.
5) Remove the four screws holding the gear selector switch trim panel and move the trim panel aside.
6) On the right side of the gear shift module you will see a two-piece white plug which obstructs your access to the front right screw of the gear selector switch. Pull the back half of the plug out of the front half. Now press the small center white spine of the forward plug downward and remove it from the fixture by pulling it forward.
7) Remove the four screws holding the gear selector switch in place.
8) Lift it until you can see the wires and plug on the bottom of the module. Pull the plug from the module. Note that the plug is horizontal, not vertical.
9) Plug the new gear selector switch module in to the car, and button it up.

I started the car and test drove it by trying to do all of the things a gear selector switch normally would do, and I also tried to get it to do things that it shouldn't, like moving from Park into Drive without the unlock button being pressed, or trying to put it into Park at 85 mph (no I didn't just checking to see if you're still awake )

I have not done any coding to get this to work at a functional level. In order to get my car's gear indications to display correctly, I had to code the following:
After injecting CAFD's for EGS and GWS, I FA (VO) replaced 205 with 2TB, then EGS and GWS coded with the new FA (VO).

Prior to the coding, the gear shift indications were:
Drive: D
Sport Auto (shift lever just pushed to left): DS
Sport Manual: M1, M2, M3, etc

After coding, the indications are:
Drive: D
Sport Auto (shift lever just pushed to left): S1, S2, S3, etc.
Sport Manual: M1, M2, M3, etc

Please let me know of any questions that you may have.
Attached Images

Last edited by MWPos; 08-18-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: re-ordered some pitcures
Appreciate 0