Anhracite Wood Trim
Sport Package
Sport Automatic Transmission with shift paddles
Dynamic Handling Package
Integral Active Steering
Premium 1 and 2
4-zone climate

Notes:
I was able to do a full evaluation at the BMW Driving Experience event with just me/wife in the car. The dealer CA also loaned me a car (just for me that day) so I could do some direct comparisons also w/o dealer coming along (wow).

I did side-by-side tests with and without IAS steering on models with Sport + DHS packages. I found the the 550i with Sport/DHS/IAS to be the best handling on high speed highway curves. On Sport mode, it was the best handling larger car I've driven. I simulated the switchback double-apex curves that I commute daily by making late turns/apex's on curves at highway speed (I looked drunk to other drivers). The 550ii/sport/DHS(on Sport mode)/IAS simply responded so well, it reminded me of my 3-series. Really. The car went where I wanted to go, even when I made a late steer into the turn, the car simply recovered nicely and didn't lean or have oversteer tendencies. I switched back to the 535 Sport/DHS on Sport mode without IAS, and when I made those late steers on high speed curves, the car got hung up in the turn and made recovery difficult and uncomfortable, slamming my passenger (wife) into the side. It drove like a bigger car.

Now, some drivers will not notice IAS since they won't be taking such curves most the time. I felt no funny feelings, nor increased unanticipated sensitivities like had been told to me. Also, I felt the benefit of IAS to me meant less possible understeer, more likely keeping the car under control if I (or another driver) apex late in a curve. So, almost the opposite of what I was led to believe previously. I suspect they may have improved/tuned the IAS substantially in this new model, and drivers should take a fresh look. I also believe, if you drive *perfectly* and hit every high speed curve apex early, you won't need the IAS. But, I was impressed, and I will appreciate this capability since I cannot always corner/apex properly due to traffic and sometimes need to adjust the steering in the middle of the curve. The IAS helps here at highway speeds on switchback curves.

I then went to the high school parking lot and did donuts in both cars. I smoked the tires like any pimple faced teenager would do with this car .... Just kidding. Seriously, I'm an adult and just turned at low speed to test turning radius. The IAS was fun and turned on a small dime, but without IAS, well, it turned pretty good too, maybe not as small a radius - I was impressed with both here.

I also was able to compare 535i to 550i engines side by side in test drives. The 550i - I was disappointed. I felt no extra power at slow speeds. In fact, I really needed to punch into it more to get the same acceleration as the 535i. Of course once it got going and rpm's got higher after giving it more gas, the 550 roared forward with shades of a brutish muscle car. The 535i, in contrast, felt like pure silk - smooth during impressive acceleration and engine symphony. I believe this 535 engine is well matched to the 8-speed automatic transmission. I think the 535i has better torque properties at lower speeds and through mid-speed acceleration. It had no trouble passing anything on the highway. The 550i of course had no trouble passing anything either (although it hesitated slightly as we passed the Shell station), but it wasn't as smooth - perhaps it takes getting used to. Nor did it have the nice symphony of engine rpm's as the 535i.

I believe the 535i engine is more impressive to drive under most real circumstances, and may be the reason why they chose to show off the new 2011 F10/5-series to the media in the 535i variant. I would have gladly ponied up the extra for the 550i, but I enjoyed the 535 engine more in this car. 29 MPG HWY just makes it even better.

Turning to the interior. One car we drove had vented seats. While it was 85F out here (dry) with scorching sunshine, we didn't feel any difference with the seats running full blast (noisy) or shut off. Holes in the seats seemed to alarm me with any spills (ala BP), along with accelerated wear. I thought the seats might also smell/outgass something stale long after the new car smell is worn out.

Went back and forth between medium gray and Oyster/black. Decided Oyster/black was more interesting in the end. Light color leather was creamier, contrasted with the black, showed off the styling/lines better. This is the 2010's - it's a new era, time for something new. And it grows on you, as did this car overall.

Ordered it, to be built week-28 (July 5-10), and due here early-to-mid August in N. California via Oxnard.

Thanks for eveyone's input here - it made me evaluate things carefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed test driving all the different F10 cars, closely evaluating each and every color, interior, and options to build the very best car for my needs.

-Magic

Last edited by Mr. Magic; 06-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Actually drove 550i during IAS testing, not 535i
Appreciate 0