View Single Post
      08-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
... But there is definitely a skittish nature to how she handles - not as planted as my E91 but I do appreciate the lighter steering. I think that VDC would make a big difference is tightening up the ride. I don't like sport suspension and like a softer ride, but I do wonder if the M-Sport wouldn't ride better.

And its not just me. Sat talking to one of my F10-touting colleagues earlier, and he agrees that the handling isn't as special as it could be, reporting the same rear-end twitch. The best way I can describe it is the back end skips slightly and that pushes the nose into a little under or oversteer. Its simple to correct and never feels like its skipping out completely, but compared to the E91 it is taking a bit of getting used to.
I tried an F11 520d on the day of the launch. Was most disappointed on the ride quality (18" wheels) and it had the distinctive RFT foibles, over poor surfaces. That poor rear end feel is just not good enough, IMO.

True, I had just driven 2 hours in an F10 530d with Adaptive Drive, but the weaknesses of these new cars and all the teething troubles, has put me off buying at present. I was ready to buy an F11 530d or 535i, but I'm sticking to the E91 until BMW bring out the new 3-series, then I'll compare and see if BMW have used these past couple of years to sort out some of the latest technology.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0