View Single Post
      11-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I've experimented with mine this morning, here are my findings.

Running around freezing -1C to +1C. Set at 20C fully automatic, both zones, snowflake button on, facial air blend set to full red. Starting from cold each side of the centre vents warmed together, stayed that way. Once the cabin was warm I sensed the drivers side was slightly cooler, but not my much.

I then tried lowering the cabin temperature (both zones) down to 17C then the driver's side cooled more than the passenger side mid vent. But once cooled went back to near equal levels again.

Stepping back a moment, what system have you got in the 520d? The advanced system, or the standard 520d system? That could be why there is a difference.

My last car (the E91 touring) would do just as you say, the driver's side would often have much cooler air than the passenger side and many others noted that feature in other E9* models. Possible reasoning, keep the driver more alert. I know I appreciated it myself, thought it a pretty good bit of design.

I'm not saying your car is without fault, as if the air is cold, even during the warm up phase, it doesn't reflect what I'm finding, in the advanced system. I'd need a wider ambient temperature range to see exactly how the temperatures blend, before saying your car must be faulty.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0