09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #53
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog
Further update:

I have email, SMS and Whatsapp messages working with IOS 6 beta 4 and BMW code 3.5.4 on a 2011 F10. Actually, the Whatsapp is very useful indeed.

HOWEVER, it can best be described as unreliable. It works some of them time and then, for no apparent reason, it stops working. There have been no changes to either the phone or the car to provoke a sudden lack of operation.

It seems to be that the settings for notifications for each application is important. The only applications in my notifications center are Phone, Messages, Mail and WhatsApp. Each of these is configured as follows:

Notification center: ON
Show: 10 Unread Items
Alert Style: Alerts
Badge App Icon: ON
Show Preview: ON
View in Lock Screen: ON

If this was stable, I think it would be excellent but its not. I doubt we will see an update before general release (actually I'm certain we won't). So all we can do is hope that (a) they patch this up in the general release or (b) we wait until 6.1.
You can further improve reliability (when it stops working).

Remember, the iPhone is unix based.

Also, power cycling the iPhone will not necessarily fix problems as apps pick up where they left off after reboot.

What you want to do is issue the equivalent of a kill -9 in unix to the offending apps on the iPhone. Push the round button on iPhone once to get out of your current app. Next, double push the same round button (like a mouse double click). This will bring up a row of icons representing all of the apps currently running on the iPhone. Lightly touch the first app in the row of icons at the bottom of your screen. In turn, you will see a red circle with a minus sign appear. Now depress the minus sign. That effectively kills that app from running. Now, keep doing the same thing for all remaining apps.

I have found that the process of killing your apps fixes most problems when the idrive email interface appears not to work. Don't forget to restart your email app after killing it.
Appreciate 0