View Single Post
      06-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The average American car buyer has different priorities and perspectives than those in most other parts of the world. Look at some of the (to us) off the wall designs sold in Japan and elsewhere...people must like them, since they sell. We get very few diesel engines here because, first, our fuel doesn't match up with Europe's (it's gotten a lot better, but is still lacking), and when the big 3 (mainly GM) tried to do a diesel car here, they really blew it. Then, people still think of diesels as soot belching, slow, hard to start, unattractive devices. Few have driven a decent modern one, and if they did, would likely change their mind. It doesn't help that on the BMW models that have diesel available, they charge a premium for it whereas they prices are on par with the gasoline versions (or cheaper) in Europe. Yes, they have to make a special version for the US (our fuel has more sulfur and the requirments are different), and that costs, but it would be really nice to have a nice one available as an option in more vehicles. The 530d GT is rated at 42mpg extraurban cycle on the European test. Try that in your gasoline engine.

There really isn't a comparable vehicle to the GT. Plus, I don't think the dealers push them. I'll be picking mine up (again) at the Performance Center in SC on Monday, then driving about 1K miles home (after the 720 miles I put on it in Germany earlier). So far, I'm glad I bought it.
Appreciate 0