10-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Are you planning on doing one on the 550i or are you just curious? The reason I ask, is that essentially, they are all the same. What you really need to discover is the oil that BMW specs, & capacities. Call the parts dept to see what they say, that's where I got the info. Everything else will pretty much be the same. If you have basic skills and tools and you have been doing this before, it will be a cake walk. If you're new to this, you may want to have someone either help you, or get it done some place by pros.
I'm planning on doing it right after the break-in is over at around 1,500 miles and then every 7,500 after that. I believe the filter is at the bottom of the block next to the oil drain plug but I'm not sure. If it is the same as the 2008 550i two allen wrenches are needed 6 mm and 8 mm for draining the filter housing and the oil pan. It will be a piece of cake since I've done this to all my new cars for years. The approved oils are listed everywhere including the owner's manual, but the capacities are not - 9 quarts is the number I've seen - I will make sure I'm certain about the capacity before I proceed. Honda told me they use special additives in their break-in oil and to wait until 1,000 miles before changing it on my new NSX so I did. The BMW should be the same so 1,500 miles seems like a prudent time to get it done. I'm one of those guys who likes to be fully prepared before attempting something so having a guide with pictures written by someone who've just done it is the way to go IMO. If I can't find one before the time comes, I may be the one who writes the guide for others in the future.
Appreciate 0