View Single Post
      03-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Thanks for the further replies which is clearly pointing to there being something wrong with my car's trims. Just be be clear, I'm not talking the sort of sudden and singular noise that you might get say driving over a bad pot hole. I can be in the car, engine switched off and using the phone at nothing louder than normal conversation levels. Certain frequencies coming through the car's speakers cause the trims to rattle/resonate. It's just like listening to something through a speaker which has a loose grill or cover, that sort of annoying rattle or resonance, which is why I'd initially assumed I had a problem with the car's speakers.

I popped a trim off one of the doors last night and could flex it considerably in my hand. In particular, when twisted, it produced similar noises. Need to investigate further and try some different approaches to packing behind it. I had the aluminium hex trim in an E60 and can recall how solid that was.

For the record, I've had one or two other minor noises from my F11, which I've managed to solve with Gummi Pflege or a bit of WD40. Otherwise I do find the quality of the F11 to be of a high standard.

Picking up on HighlandPete's last point, my car has not had a particularly hard life (about to turn 1 year old and covered just 12k miles), but this noise has been present since new.
Appreciate 0