View Single Post
      10-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #41
mkent
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaze View Post
The 2012 BMW 528i is a car with an unusual breadth of personality, ranging from comfortable econo-sedan to sporting four-door. And this efficient new twin-turbo four allows it to pull off these character switches with conviction. Yet it's not a car of split personality. The satisfying way in which it gels makes it easy to understand why this is the best-selling sedan in its class, worldwide.

Why is it that people always get the twin-power engine confused with twin-turbo.....?
Clearly this is a typo and he meant "twin-scroll turbo".

The performance of this 4 cylinder is very impressive. I use to be uneducated and irrationally biased towards V8 engines and raw performance and sound. Then, I realized the "feel" of a car with any given powertrain is simply determined by it's torque curve. If a company like BMW can can engineer an engine with less tailpipe emissions (don't forget, there's alot more to emissions than a simple miles per gallon rating) which supplies the vehicle with greater acceleration potential than the other engine, then I think they just did you a service. Government regulations on emissions are tighter than ever right now. Car manufactures are havin to meet average emissions standards based on their entire fleet of vehicles. With that said, the easiest way to decrease average emissions ratings for an entire fleet is to decrease the emissions ratings in the segment where your highest volume of sales exists. Every car manufacture is affected by these stringent regulations--BMW is just always a step or two ahead of everyone else when it comes to powertrain. I admire the way they have avoided letting regulations take the fun and performance out of engines. Efficient dynamics is a fitting motto for this company. "Efficient" for the world. "Dynamic" for the driver. No other company has married those two words more effectively than BMW.

A person is kind of like a still object--a stopped car, for example. Most of us are fine with being stopped and when someone comes along and tries to move or change us, we are stubborn and resistive. We are an object at rest which tends to stay at rest. It requires a lot of force to get us to move, but once we get moving, the force required to move us decreases and we eventually end up at a new location where we can stop and get comfortable until the next change comes along and overcomes our stubborness.

Go drive the car when it's time to replace your current one and see how it feels. If you can't get over the sound, then ask for an M5 soundtrack to play in it, or spend a little extra money and get the I6 option. The real thing here is most people don't care. We who have performance and sound at the top of our priority list are a minority. Most BMW drivers care about status, and maybe to a some degree, performance, but the only sound they are listening to is pumping out their iPod through the killer audio system in their new car.

This article here seems to sum up the typical BMW owners concern for what makes their car move...
http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-80-per...rive-7976.html
Appreciate 0