View Single Post
      01-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Tony Brentwood
Rep
Drives: 520d ordered

Combox/BlackBerry

I know there has already been a lot of talk about compatibilty between the Combox and phones but as I have waded through lots of posts without really getting far, plus there might be updates since some of the early Combox posts, I thought I'd resurrect the question.

I have a 5 series, post-Sept 2010, with Combox, I currently use an 8310, which connects and I can see the address book but no other Combox functions like email, text or Calendar.

I am now changing my work phone and it is the Calendar I really want, though email would be useful too.

I called my dealer who sent me to the website, alas I did not find this very helpful.

What I want to know, and I suspect a lot of Combox BMW owners want to know is:

(1) What currently available phones do what with Combox.

(2) Are any restrictions down to BMW or the phone manufacturers and what measures will be taken by either to give existing phones greater functionality.

(3) What phones are in the pipeline that give greater functionality.

(4) What software upgrages are currently available to car or phone to improve matters.

I am amazed that this is not all a LOT clearer. Both BMW and phone manufactirers must have spent a lot of money on bringing this functionality, yet information on what does what seems opaque.

I have also heard that it is not the phone that matters but the OS (BB OS6 has been mentioned) and also Message Access Profile (MAP), whatever that is. Question is, are these once and for all embedded in phones or can they be upgraded retrospectively. And indeed whether these have any relevance at all.

I would very much appreciate any comments by those who have got Combox functionality working... ideally those with BlackBerry as my new phone must be one due to work server compatibility.

Thanks
Tony Brentwood.
Appreciate 0