View Single Post
      07-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Asia Spec F10 523i Review

I had the chance to testdrive the Asia spec 523i last weekend. I believe the Asian spec 523i is different from the EU spec model because it has a 2.5L engine instead of the 3.0L one in EU. The HP/power rating is the same (204hp) so maybe maybe because Asian countries tax heavily based on engine size, so BMW decided to downsize the engine. Its also probably reduces the weight of the car since its a smaller engine. It seems they tuned the engine carefully since 0-100km times are identical to the EU one.

A little bit of a background--I am coming from a 335i M-Sport e90 which I sold about 6 months ago before moving from Japan to Hong Kong. The 335i was fully loaded with iDrive/Nav/ipod/upgraded stereo/active steering/adaptive xenon/M sport package.

After debating the 3 series again and the Audi A4/A5 I decided to spend more on luxury instead of engine because in HK there aren't any long drives, or any track and most of the time will be stuck in traffic.

In HK, the trim choices are:

523iA Executive
-204HP
-8speed (not sport)
-Dakota leather/any paint choice
-ipod usb
-17" wheels 236 wheels
-idrive (no nav)
-power seats

523iA (changes from above)
-8 speed sport transmission
-hifi speakers
-bluetooth
-sunroof

528iA (changes from above)
-258HP
-no sunroof
-327 wheels

535iA (changes from above)
-306HP
-6dvd changer
-sunroof

550iA
-didn't really look at this one as out of my budget

The car I drove was a standard 523i with 8sp sport (not executive).

Immediately I noticed the cabin was much much nicer than the e9x. Too many little touches to mention but it felt closer to the last 7er and a cut above even the e60 which i loved. it also has a very high-tech gadgety feel to it, but different from Audi's which have too many buttons and is distracting.

I expected to be quite dissappointed with the 523i since I had driven a 325i and didn't like it much. I was wrong. The 8 speed transmission hides any flaws of the engine well until the legal speed limit. It probably slow after 100km/h but how often in HK do you get to drive there? I played with the sport/sport+ setting but to be honest, couldn't tell much probably because of the underpowered engine.

The steering is not as tight as e9x standard, but closer to active steering. I did notice that on center feel was not that great but I can get used to it. Suspension was tight as a BMW should be--much better than A4/A5 stock and very close to e9x but it does feel like a bigger (but not so heavy car).

The 523i is a hot item here and only on order. They have some 528i on stock but they don't have Sports transmission so I didn't consider them. In the end I ordered a 528i with a load of options. 4-5 months wait...

I paid the same price as a base 535i for the 528i, but the options I went for are:
-Sophisto Gray/Cinnamon/Anthracite
-Navigation Professional
-HiFi Professional
-Sports seat
-Premium edition (rear camera/soft close trunk/power rear sunshade)
-surround camera view (my wife needs to be able to park the car in the narror hk streets )

Last edited by akhter; 07-27-2010 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0