Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yeah, I should have bumped the ISO. Quite simply, I had brain fog. I had it set to 200 in the room and neglected to change it when I went out. I do the same thing every time I take the WB off auto. I always forget to set it again for the next shoot. Usually takes at least one blown picture to remind me.

I'll try more at 400. I've shot at 800, but I was not happy with the noise level. Maybe I need to brush up on my NR techniques, though.
Remembering to constantly check my settings is something that I continue to work on. Back in the olden days, when we ALL shot manual, you looked at the light and then your settings for every shot. With modern cameras, it's easy to get lazy on settings and screw up a great shot opportunity.

My worst in recent memory was shooting a full moon at -2EV at pre-dawn. Next I walked way back in the woods to the lake shore and set up my blind and shot the birds as the sun rose. Maybe 30 shots were taken before I thought to check my settings, which were 3-stops too low for the morning light. Luckily there were no once-in-a-lifetime shots missed, but lesson enforced, if not learned.

Shooting in RAW, exposing right (to the right of the historgram) and judicious use of NR can yield surprisingly good results.

Dave