ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
in low light, if you have a camera that handles ISO well, you'll get little grain.

however, not a lot of cameras are built to take high ISO like the pro cameras, so your best solution is to bring a tripod with you and do longer exposures.

if you're having issues focusing, find a sharp edge to an object and use your center focus point (canon) to focus on, then move back to where you want to be shooting.

also closing down the aperture will help any sharpness issues once properly focused.

some lenses allow you do do a focus, but allow you to fine tune the focus, so depending what equipment you have, this may also be an option in low light for you.

Not sure if you saw the exif info from the raw file...

Camera: Nikon D90

Lens: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Shot at 38 mm (35mm film equiv: 57mm)

Exposure: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 0.6 sec, f/5, ISO 720

Flash: none

Focus: AF-A, at 3.4m, with a depth of field of about 1.6m, (from about 63cm before the focus point to about 1.0m after)
AF Area Mode: Contrast-detect (wide area)

Date: May 21, 2011 9:45:34PM (timezone not specified)
(3 days, 15 hours, 21 minutes, 25 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of 5 hours behind GMT)

File: 2,868 × 4,352 NEF (12.5 megapixels)

10,718,264 bytes (10.2 megabytes) Image compression: 71%

Camera's not the greatest model out there, but I don't think it's a slouch either.

I'm wondering if I had the focus box set just above the hood, meaning that it picked up on the building instead of the car?