View Single Post
      08-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Autosavant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Cadillac CTS RWD DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Quote "BMW’s Normal mode does seem well balanced, as does the suspension in Sport mode. Unfortunately, the throttle response in Sport mode is poorly calibrated for anything other than ultra-aggressive driving, with a surging turbo spool occurring with even mild throttle application, such that it is very difficult (bordering on impossible) to drive the 535i smoothly in Sport mode."

His view of the sport mode drive doesn't reflect the views I've read and what I've experienced. Whether the XF is a superior drive is subjective, but the above imo is definitely off the mark, by miles Since he can't handle the F10 in sport mode with a stick, I'm not surprised with his conclusion

The cars appear to have been compared 10 months apart based on the dates of review.

Lastly, if MSRP determines which cars are to be compared with, it can be rather way off in comparing different makes with totally different engines, and one would then also need to take into account maintenance costs, resale value and reliability.
Yes, in no way were were implying that this was a comparison test between the XF and the 535i. I think it's pretty transparent when he says in the 535i review that he drove the Jaguar last year that it's not a back-to-back comparison. The reviewer did have the perspective of having driven both, and we can presume that he has the same likes and dislikes that he had 10 months ago. He liked the way the XF drove and didn't love the way the 535i drove.

As you said, it's subjective. I'd never let someone tell me how a car I was interested in drove. I'd just get in the car and drive it to see if it met my preferences.

Kevin is not a race car driver, but he knows his way around a car, and refuses to own a car with an automatic. I'd say he can handle a 5er with the sport package. He even autocrossed semi-successfully a few seasons ago, until their venue was closed to them.
Appreciate 0