View Single Post
      09-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Its been a few weeks since I updated this blog, so a few things to add:

1. I've been on my holidays! I had wondered how practical a car this is and here was the first big test. I have 3 kids (aged 10, 3 and 3 months) and they fit in the back in reasonable comfort (a few moans from my 10 year old in the middle between the two child seats but frankly he'd moan anyway....). I then needed to load enough stuff to cover one week away.

So into the boot went 3 suitcases of increasing size, several small backpacks, several other squashy bags, coats and spare shoes for everyone, a baby stroller, and to my amazement it all went in:

What really makes it practical are the various nooks and crannies that BMW have managed to free up on the sides.

2. Ride, handling and economy when crush loaded. Inflated the tyres to full load and whilst the car still wallows it still feels responsive round the bends in the wet. The brakes could do with being a bit sharper when heavy - it takes a lot of stopping and frankly are a bit on - off. Economy dropped from my usual 47-48 to 40-41.

3. Big car, small spaces. I think for the first time I really feel just how big this car is. Had to park it into some tight spaces and both the length of nose and tail plus the width meant for some precision shunting to get the car central in the bay so that I could still open the door enough to get out. I don't need reversing cameras or top view or any of that nonsense, but it is a big car!

What I did think would be useful are the wing cameras for the front. Several roads I went down a lot ended at a t-junction with very limited visibility. The only way to see out onto the main road is creep the long nose out - the cameras would make a huge difference.

4. Looks. Was nice to have people walk past and give the car the once (and several times twice) over. Its still a feelgood experience having one!