View Single Post
      06-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

A moment of madness today

Ordered a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 via Event Tyres, won't be fitted in time for our Silverstone trip which is a shame.

Tweaking air-pressures and different road surfaces varies the strength of the vibes so it has me fairly convinced it's the tyres, probably the RE050A. I thought they'd done 18k miles, I actually think it's more like 21-22k. On previous cars I noticed that even with reasonable tread left (4.5mm) they change character quite a bit around that point.

Good a reason as any to finally get rid of the RFTs, things have improved a lot over the past few years but they're still not that great. And in particular getting replacements in a hurry is a pain in the butt. I got an un-repairable puncture last year, no Continentals available at all for a week, got the last 2 Bridgestones available and it still took the rest of the day for them to be delivered and fitted - as a contractor I'm paid by the day, so they cost me a fair bit of cash all-told.

Wish I'd switched over then. And should have learnt my lesson before getting the Pirellis back in March. All hind-sight

Owning a nice car can be a right old PITA at times