Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73
Just did this today. I used ramps and it took about an hour after getting the car up and all the tools together underneath.

My challenges:

- not sure I like the sound at all times, part of that is the fact that I have 8AT instead of 6MT
- trouble getting the tips centered the way I'd like. Tightening the clamps always seems to force everything into a preset alignment which isn't quite right, even if I'm holding it where I want it
- my set is used, and the 2mm set screws on the tips are stuck in place. Despite penetrating oil I can't seem to loosen them and the person originally installing it had the left tip too far out. Still going to work on this one.

I would add recommendations:

- I used silicone spray - guaranteed not to dry or break down the rubber mounts over time
- I put silicone grease on the hangers of the new mufflers before installing. Went together like butter
- before making the cut, you may wish to work the tip of the hanger back into the rubber mounts but still leave it mostly mounted. Once the cuts are made there isn't a lot of stability to pry and pull on things.
What did you do with the vacuum valve on the left side tip?
There is no vacuum valve, at least not on my 4/2011 build 535xi. Both sides have a passive rubber thing bolted at the rear of the factory exhaust.
Appreciate 0