Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Still, really great pictures AU335, so don't think I/we are being critical in a negative manner.

Yes, please, we're just exploring the horizons' impact on these great images. I actually think it works very well in the middle, which is part of the reason that it came to my mind.

Here's something for all of us the think about. For panoramas, I level my tripod before putting the camera on and almost invariably, the horizon is in the middle. With the tripod level, then you can crank the front of the camera up and down to explore the best horizon. I do a lot of sunsets, so the horizon is usually lower in the frame, OTOH, scenics with lots of interest in both the foreground and sky, then you've got a decision. My first instructor said to NEVER divide the frame with the horizon and we worked with the rule of thirds for our compositions; however, now that I'm well beyond the 7th grade I'm seeing those "rules" broken with great success.

BTW, in another thread here, someone has a night skyline with a perfectly still-water reflection. Clearly, that horizon belongs in the middle of the picture for the most dramatic impact.

Dave