United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooati View Post
Dracon

How'd your install and post-install go? Care to share details?

Looking at buying one of these on Alibaba from either UGODE, YZG or KANOR sellers.
Honestly, I wound up sending it back in the end. It's a nice device and the unit itself was well built, but I found the integration with the vehicle to be extremely clunky and not well thought out.

Installation and everything was really easy, but it just didn't feel polished. Integration with the existing iDrive system was pretty bad, it kept interfering with the OEM Rear Seat Entertainment system causing it to stop playing what was in the rear screens.

I also still don't understand why they couldn't integrate with the OEM microphone on these units, even the cheap CarPlay MMI boxes integrate perfectly with the OEM microphone. So you'd have to install another microphone for the nav along with the odd external speaker if you wanted to have navigation directions spoken while you were out of the Android interface.

The stock interface wasn't all that great either, it emulates the iDrive 7 interface in style but none of the tiles are live tiles (displays active information) unless you're using the built in media player (which is terrible). However, there are several projects on the Android Automotive Discord that you can use to skin your own interface and customize it a lot.

On a side note, I do have a better GPS signal splitter (actually blocks phantom power from the headunit to avoid issues, similar to the Blankenburg units which can't be acquired in the US) than the standard FAKRA Y-cable if someone's interested in it.
Appreciate 2