SpartanV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i MSport

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [9.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnota2ma View Post
Congrats, nice car! I have 141K on mine and replaced the engine at 139K. With only 18K, it is like brand new. Things to watch for though: If it starts smoking, get the valve seals replaced. This is a non-TU and it will happen eventually. Watch the battery. If you don't drive it a lot, keep a tender on it. If it starts to need charging out of normal driving, it is time to replace it. Like someone else said, watch the turbo coolant lines. Also watch the PCV valve hoses, especially if someone has worked on your car. These have a tendency to crack and cause CELs. Watch ANYTHING plastic or rubber in the engine bay. The heat really takes its toll on these parts. Find yourself a reliable independent mechanic. This car is out of warranty, so most things are going to out of pocket. A really good mechanic can save you some money. Oh, and one more thing. Keep it in the garage!! Your car will thank you!

I have gotten in the habit, if it breaks, fix it. Putting off repairs and maintenance on these vehicles will bite you in the ass. Keeping up with repairs and maintenance will rewards you with a fun and comfortable ride.

Also, drive it!! These vehicles were meant to be driven!! Don't be afraid to push to 100 mph on a regular basis. This is NOT beating on it. These cars were designed to do 120+ without breaking a sweat. Even launching it from a stop every once in a while is just fine, the car can handle it! Drive it in comfort mode most of the time. Driving it in sport or sport + mode all the time it just dumb, especially with a tune. There is a time and place for that. Driving [...]
Thank you so much for the helpful tips!

What cooling mods would be helpful? I was doing some research on that since I know this engine runs hot. This will be my daily driver for awhile until I get a little beeter car.
Appreciate 0