View Single Post
      04-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

530D Engine Vibration

I've started getting high frequency vibration through the cabin (steering wheel, seats, front, back, etc) - nothing visible but it feels like a massage all the time so it's not feeling good. Happens at idle (1000rpm is very noticeable on the steering wheel), in gear and neutral, and while driving and is pretty constant at all revs. And obviously adds to any road feeling through the tyres so at times the car can feel pretty crap.

2 weeks ago I did a 360 mile each way trip to Cornwall and it was smooth as butter so something's happened since, all I've done since getting home is fill up (always with v-power)

Initially I thought it was tyres (front were 18k miles old RE050 with saw-toothing, rear brand new Pirelli P7 - all RFT) so I swapped them all around, no change.

Then I thought maybe it was engine mounts, but on popping the bonnet and seeing the engine cover moving around it's definitely engine block related. I took the cover off to ensure it wasn't just loose but it's not that. I've tried moving the exhaust with my wife sat in the car to see if the steering wheel vibe changes, nothing.

Power doesn't seem reduced, consumption figures are still around normal.

After seeing this Youtube vid of a E46 320d I thought I'd do the same - this is mine

I used a cloth as the glass was shifting around so much on the bare cover, the cloth doesn't help much either.

It is booked in with the dealer but not until the 8th May thanks to courtesy car availability. On booking they checked the key-fob and no errors reported there.

FWIW I also seem to have the 70-75mph slight shake that's widely mentioned when Googling that's like a wheel balancing problem but I've had that checked as well. But to be honest, all I want to do right now is lose the vibes.

I'm trying to self diagnose as much as possible to avoid any run-around so any ideas?