View Single Post
      04-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Yolo360
England
Rep
Drives: F10 Alpline. M-Sport

Smile Standard speakers upgraded to OEM Top Hifi (retrofit)

Hey Guys,

My F10 arrived with me for only a few weeks now. I have done about 150miles on the clock since delivery and the speakers are just disasterous. Its worse then my little runabout Merc CLC!

Ok so upgrade was needed and I done my research and orderd the chosen option I wanted to upgrade too. I first read up on Focal speakers etc.. but I wanted everything OEM and not tamper with the car with a new aftermarket amp install/ re-wiring etc..

Firstly I investigated the vehicle with its current speakers housings etc..
Rear parcel shelf: to my surprise its the tweeter positions was already there. Simple plug & Play.

Second: Front center dash:
Opened grill, investigated no wiring. So left this as it is.

Took the A-Piller plastic off to discover the underside foam is ready for tweeters. (It doesnt matter as the tweeter grills comes with new ones)

I deicided on the full Top Hifi Speakers which is the top premium speaker kit from BMW just below the B&O they offer.

Right the parts I ordered consisted of:
4 x Top Hifi Mid speakers 6513 9169693-02
2 x Top Hifi Rear tweeters 6513 91847950-2
2 x Top Hifi Front sweeters 6513 9 184 794-02
2 x Top Hifi subwoofers. 6513 9241119-01
2 x Front tweeter grills. Left:51337275779 Right:51337275780

Tutorial:
I started off with the front doors:

- Remove the decor trim. Simply pull outwards with a little force. No tabs will break. Once popped out there is a large silver clip that you have to push up to release the trim out. Then slide the trim forwards to release the back secure tabs.

- Remove 2 main screws holding the door card (Marked with red X) You have to removed the door handle black trim to get the the second one.

- Once removed, ply door hard off with your hands. Start next to the hinges and work your way around.

- Once popped off then let it lie down and use the door/ seat to hold it, leaving it flat down so its easy to work with.

- Simple undo the 3 speaker nuts and pop the new on and then plug new tweeter in.

Now put it all back the same together the same way you took it apart.

Front doors done:

Rear parcel shelf.
- Pop cover off

- undo the torx screw securing the original speakers

- You will have to simply cut some material away as the TOP HIFI Mids are larger, so just simply cut the side material away so the new speaker fit tight. The tweeter is a direct fit. You have to connect original speaker cable to the new Mid and then the tweeter into the new Mid. Same as the front door cards.

You will have to create new screw holes. Simply screw the screw into the parcel shelf material and it secures it tightly. You will have to dremel a small bit of material on the speaker grill so it fits perfectly.

Front Subs.

- Undo 4 Torx on the seats lean it back so you can access the floor speaker cover.
- Undo 4 Torx to take speaker cover off
- Discount sub
- Unscrew 2 x nuts
- Fold partial carpet up to create room to lift up the subs
- Put new subs in.
- Re-wire needed: standard subs have 4 connectsions in the subs and the TOP HIFI has only 2. I guess its 2 x small and 2 x large cables. Simply bridge the small cables with the large cables and connect using same socket.
- Reinstall everything.

Everything is plug and play. Took me around 4 hours to do everything.

Verdict: So worth it, the sound is sensational/ incrediable! Full volume has no distortion and very nice bass.

I hope this topic will inspire the owners with the basic speakers.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Yolo360; 04-09-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 1