View Single Post
      06-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9 View Post
My only other turbo experience is a Skyline GTR I drove and tracked for a few years in England, so no big turbos, the was the GTS-T drivers. But I am well aware of the issue (watch the Top Gear review of the Evo VIII). My point (unsaid) is that in daily driving you would have to be revving the nuts off it to ever see any of the benefits. No doubt it will have effects at the drag strip or if you are routinely running the car to redline, but there is no gain at all for normal driving conditions.
That's quite funny. Prior to my last post I was searching to see if I could find that Top Gear video where they ran the EVO in its top gear against something slow and watched it walk away until boost built.

You would be suprised how quickly you adapt to the change in power band. With an auto transmission there's really no adaptation. Just put your right foot down.

Turbo upgrades are certainly not for everyone, but for those that want a car that is truly fast versus one that just feels fast, it's the only path (speaking specifically to the N55.)

The counterpoint to your point is you really aren't giving up anything for "normal driving" either with this particular upgrade and the extra headroom is there for when you can tap into it; perhaps you cannot or don't have a desire. I figured there may be some F10 535i owner's that shared my interest. I currently drive a 2008 335i running a custom tune and E50 for fuel. It makes over 400 WHP and is considerably lighter than a F10. I mash the throttle and run it to redline through at least a couple of gears almost every time I drive it.
Appreciate 0