01-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #71
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
If you didn't have underinsured motorist coverage while driving a nearly $70k car, then that is YOUR fault. Why should a guy driving a car that is only worth $10k have to make sure he's carrying $300k in insurance in case he has an accident with a Bentley?
This is exactly how everyone should be insured. You need to plan for driving your $10k car, and hitting someone that has something worth alot more and protect yourself from having personal liability. Why should his insurance pony up over and above the level of coverage paid for. They shouldn't and they aren't from the OPs statement.

You are also correct, the OP should be properly insured as well to cover any potential losses he might incur. I would honestly check with someone here who works for BMW, and the the scoop on how they handle this on a lease return ... if he won't be charged for excess damages .. then it sucks ... but get it fixed and live with it ... atleast it's just a rental and you'll give it back to BMW in good time.

In any event .... glad I opted for MAX insurance coverage on my auto & a $3M umbrella policy.
Appreciate 0