View Single Post
      02-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #52
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I come from the 'form over fashion' side of wheel choice. I don't choose to compromise ride and handling, on our typical UK roads, to have fashionable over-sized rims.

It is a big subject and often debated. Autocar posted a blog after Steve Sutcliffe found a BMW 1M coupe worked far better on 18" wheels, rather than the 19" from BMW, to see where users put their priorities. Fashion, even with driving compromises, appeared to come first, rather than driving performance. Many willingly endure a worse handling car with poor ride quality just to have a look.

I don't personally don't get how users will rather have a look, than optimum tyre performance and the highest degree of safety in all conditions. Perhaps I'm from a dying breed.... maybe.

I know there are quite a few motoring journalists/writers who think wheel sizing is getting out of hand, right across the motoring industry, for many reasons. Includes costs, ride, noise, poor chassis dynamics, and it is time to get back to the basics of what wheels and suspension are supposed to do.

HighlandPete
I'm with Pete, so maybe he's just the penultimate of a dying breed!
Appreciate 0