07-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
With my setting in sport or sport+, I feel just as confident trowing this 2 ton wagon around corners on small country roads as I did in my old e46 M3 with KW v3 suspension.
This is exactly correct. I think some folks here have thought I was exaggerating when I'd say that this car, even the heavier 550xi, feels light on its feet and just as tossable as my previous 3ers. Without DHP, I wouldn't likely be saying it... and Adaptive Drive / ARS is a big reason why the car feels so much smaller and more nimble. When you enter a hard turn, you expect to feel the weight shift to the outside wheels and feel the car lean. But that's exactly where Adaptive Drive and Active Roll Stabilization within the Dynamic Handling Package shines. In spirited driving - like I said, maybe taking a 25mph turn @ 45mph - it feels so much more nimble and lighter than it should... and from my back to back testing, much enhanced over a car without DHP. You can certainly get the 5 to handle very well with just a passive sport suspension and sways, but it's a static setup... one size doesn't fit all, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnoah View Post
I think this is the type of system that is made up of car parts, computer parts, and a bunch of software. Something tells me this is probably one of the more challenging retrofit mods to pull off. If it's possible, I'm going to assume that it would cost way more in parts and labor than the original $3500 price tag.
Yes, agreed. I'm sure it's possible - people have done amazing retrofits... but I'd expect it to be very expensive. I'd sooner trade-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4UKCATS View Post
I have a 2013 loaded msport xdrive with dhp. CA rightly said you will hate this car coming from an e90 with sport pkg if you don't get it. He's right. BMW should include this on every 5 simply because if the f10 is the only BMW you have ever or will ever drive you will have never driven the ultimate driving machine in the standard setup. Even with dhp I now have m3 and m4 envy as that car seems to have the fun factor of the e90 in a larger package. 2 years left on the lease.
Same here - came from an e90 335 with sport package. The 550xi with DHP makes me feel just as confident, but it gives me driving comfort when I want it that the passive sport suspension on the 335 never could. It really is the best of two worlds.

I'm sure, like every other technology, it'll eventually come down in price and then trickle into models as standard equipment. Look how long it took for navigation to be standard equipment on the 5-series. It's a shame that more dealers aren't keeping DHP cars in stock, though, because it really sounds like it hinders many buyers here - people are weary of spending $3,500 for an option they can't test out.
Appreciate 0