View Single Post
      05-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

This is really the ignorant masses fault, and not BMWs. For example, I was at the Philly car show this winter and at the Lexus area my father and I ran into a friend of his. He was at the time we ran into him looking at their smallest hybrid (the iS). My father asked, was he looking at a new car? He responded with a fairly self important response that, "Well, I'm just trying to do my part. trying to do the right thing". I said, then why not buy a diesel from Audi or BMW?

Not to my surprise, he immediately dismissed my suggestion with a condescending tone saying "he wanted very good fuel efficiency and ultra low emissions and was willing to sacrifice performance rather than slightly better fuel efficiency and same emissions". He said it was more about "doing the right thing" then whether the vehicle would be perfect for him. Besides, he said, what was the point of giving up the performance and not getting the green effect? Yup, he believed diesels were slow, rough and inefficient.

Honestly, I should have walked away, but I got too big of a mouth to do that (as many of you have seen). I kindly informed him the right thing would be to educate himself rather than listening to media outlets and his own "expertise". That the 335d (I admitted I did not know the facts surrounding Audi's clean burning diesels as well as BMWs) may in fact cause less harm to the environment, provide almost as good gas mileage in mixed driving (better hwy worse city), provide OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE and was so clean burning that you could wipe the tailpipes after a 500 mile drive without finding so much as a smudge of exhaust dust....cleaner than a standard 335i by a mile. I pointed out that the harm caused to the environment by hybrids (making of the batteries, disposal of them, etc.) leads to an extensive negative impact on our environment that simply is not highlighted or discussed in main stream media

Did he ask where I got my info? Did he ask where he might find such info so as to do his own research and make his own "informed" decision? Of course not, he just dismissed it because he had already convinced himself he knew what was best for the environment and what he was doing "was the right thing".

So, don't blame BMW, blame the ignorance of the majority of the car buying public.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 05-21-2010 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0