BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimefam View Post
Did they tell you why that gasket failed? I can't think of a single reason why they would reuse the oil besides cost? As for break in I followed it completely for 2,000 miles during my ED, the last 1200 miles of the trip I drove it hard. I also put it on ramps last night and double checked for any sign of oil and everything is clean down there no signs of a problem.
Nope. They said they didn't see anything else wrong when they opened it up. Maybe a defective gasket or it got nicked on install or something? (fingers crossed)

I think you're right about the oil and cost, but maybe they would claim they are protecting the environment by reusing good oil?? Either way it was a bit surprising/annoying, but not that big an issue for me as I had already purchased the materials and had planned to do it myself.
My problem with reusing the oil is the possibility of contamination. Whatever device the dealer uses to reclaim the oil was probably used for some other purpose like reclaiming transmission fluid at one point.

I am not asking for a sterility here, but you know if a tech has to drain a liquid he is going to use the same device and this will lead to contamination.
Appreciate 0