09-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerpride05 View Post
Theoretically, Yes. But with ED you sign the paper work 15 days before you depart and technically you take delivery in Munich so the payments start on the day you sign. They pay the 2nd payment but then after that you are on your own.

For anybody doing ED in the future, do yourself a favor and end your trip in Munich or preferably Bremerhaven. I had to learn this the hard way.

Member MBrown1003 has already got his car and he did ED one month after me. He dropped off in Bremerhaven and his car got on a boat a few days after. Smart man!
MBrown1003 here. Let me stir in a bit more info.

I droped off my car at the Loginout site at Munich. They transported it to Bremerhaven. It was a week from dropoff to embarkation. It was TWO weeks from arrival in NJ until transport to my dealer.

The car sat at the VPC (New Jersey for me) for two weeks. During that time, they replaced the clutch (I still don't have a good explanation as to why), and they repaired the rim that I curbed. The metal work was excellent, but the repainting is horrible. It almost looks like they used a white filler and didn't paint it silver. And, somehow, there are large splatters of the white material on other spokes. When the sales director at my dealer saw it, he wasn't too impressed either. He's already making arrangments to address this.

Here's my timeline:

July 21: Signed paperwork at dealer; made first lease payment
August 1: Delivery in Munich
August 6: Dropped off car at Munich airport
August 8: "Booked" (per W-W website)
August 12: "Received at terminal" (per W-W website)
August 14: "Loaded on vessel" (per W-W website)
August 24: "Discharged" (per W-W website, and this wasn't posted on the site until about two weeks later)
September 10: Car arrived at dealer
September 12: I drove back from vacation on Cape Cod to get it: 2.5 hours in the M3 + 2.5 hours in the 550i. That's a good day on vacation!

So, I was out of the car for five weeks. BimmerMun's car was on the same ship as me, and he got his over a week before I got mine. I know that the ED cars take longer to clear Customs. I guess they do a more thorough inspection since the car has been "in the wild", but I do agree that they should to do something to make you whole for the time.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0