View Single Post
      06-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #27
M3_CSL_E92
Private
Rep
Drives: none atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I had some related questions I had asked in a separate thread, but no one answered so I went and researched it a little. This quote, taken from wikipedia, basically confirmed what I suspected:

That is to say, DTM cars are not production-based cars at all. This is in stark contrast, BTW, to the M3 GTE/GT2 cars used in Le Mans and American LeMans respectively. Those start life as "production" M3s, with their body shells plucked right from the production line (though they then get built up into race cars and share very little with a road-going M3).

So, in reality, the changing of the guard coming up soon from E9x to F3x will have basically no effect whatsoever on BMW's DTM efforts. They are going to build a special racing chassis that, other than the roof, does note share a single bit of exterior with any production car - M3 or otherwise. In fact, further research indeed confirms the cars are based on purpose-built tubular spaceframes. In other words these cars are essentially the European kin to those used in our homegrown NASCAR series, albeit ones that are not stuck in the past and burdened by pushrod V8s and live axle rear ends.

What this all means is that the car will be easily updated to take on any F3x styling cues whenever BMW wishes. Maybe it's not just stickers like a NASCAR entry would typically get, but the changes needed to reflect a new model will nonetheless be minor since the car only barely ever looked anything like a production car to begin with. Now, these changes could happen soon after the E92 M3 ends production next year (i.e. they could take some cues from the new F30 3 series at that time), perhaps at the start of the car's second season in DTM. Alternatively they could just leave it alone until the F32 M3 shows its face in about 3 years time. Or, they could make a slow transition changing little things each year. But the bottom line is, this is going to be a chassis that is built to be used for many seasons (refined over time I'm sure), and it's lifespan will be completely uneffected to the lifespan of road going BMWs.

You have to keep in mind that you do not talk about DTM 2012 regs but the regulations put in place today.

None of us knows how the regulations will look but i can bet my right hand it will not be similar to what we have today but more in line with Super GT of today and ALMS GT class.
Costs will be cut in half from what iīve read. And another funny thing is that the SuperGT folks got a DTM car shipped to them and compared it with a GT500 car.
The difference was over 7 seconds per lap.. and not in the DTM carīs favour.
Appreciate 0