09-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm excited by the prospect of a 5 series coupe, and even more so by the corollary that an M5 coupe might ensue. It's always been a question in my mind as to what the "next step up" from the 3 series coupe (or M3 coupe) would be for the consumer who still wants a sporty car. There's such a large price gap. A person stepping up from a 70k M3 coupe, for instance, who wants a sporty coupe, finds themselves faced with the difficult reality that there are very few realistic options, most of which are considerably more expensive than 70k - Porsche being one of them (and of course Porche's aren't for everyone).

The same is true of the person stepping up from a 45-50k 3 series coupe. What is their next logical step, assuming they want to purchase another sporty car, but a "step up"? True there are a few options, the Mercedes E-coupe being one of them... but again, there aren't MANY.

That being said, I think a decision by BMW to pursue the 5er coupe satiates a long felt need in this market niche, myself amongst them. BMW doesn't have to produce the car in mass numbers; undoubtedly they will do their market research to see how much production is merited by the demand. But by introducing a 5er coupe, BMW can foster loyalty from within their customer base of those stepping up from a 3, and also tap into a niche that has been left long empty by other manufactureres, thus bringing in customers from other brands who have often too few choices.

I find myself excited by the prospect of stepping into an M5 coupe, after it comes time for me to part with my M3 ( I know, I need to update my signature). The possibility now exists that I might no longer have to depart BMW as a brand to make the next step up.

What I do after the M5 coupe becomes the real question haha... P car maybe?

- esquire
Hold on im still reading...be right with ya just joking i totally agree with you
Appreciate 0