View Single Post
      09-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #8
hurst01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i GT XDrive

I had this problem with my wife's 535I XDrive. I ignored it for quite some time and then got a warning saying "Adaptive Headlight Failure". I pulled the front end and the headlight in question. My plan was to purchase two new lenses but decided it was too much work. It took two full days to try and dry it out. I bought a small tube of FLOWABLE WINDSHIELD SEALER. It is very liquid and flows easily, but the headlight has to be out to do it. It doesn't flow uphill, so you have to rotate the headlight slowly and let it seep in the seams and cracks. Don't overdo it or it will show.
I let it dry overnight and reinstalled it. I did both headlights while I had the front end off. I had to replace the small circuit board underneath the headlight because it got wet and ruined it. My headlight had enough water in it that you could see it rolling around as I rotated the light, about a cup. I also replaced the bulbs in both headlights.
No more water. For some reason or another I occasionally get the "Adaptive Headlight Failure" message. I suspect it is because I didn't have the dealer clear the codes and it is still in the memory.
Don't know why, but for a while now seems like both headlights are too low and I have to check that out.

Ed
Appreciate 1