View Single Post
      04-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #57
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

It would be the same. The VDC technology used in the F10 was introduced by BMW in the F01. So, if you like what it does in the F01, you probably would also like it in the F10.

The only question is whether you need it. For typical driving situations, VDC would be left in either Normal or Comfort modes, with Sport mode engaged only when you are in the mood for some spirited driving. Again, that depends on whether there are enough roads (and empty ones at that) in SG for you to indulge. To me, the only roads that are equivalent of the UK B-roads and Welsh roads here would be the trunk roads on the East coast of Malaysia, where there are dips and crests and turns galore (not dissimilar to the roads seen on the Autoweek video).

Having said that, AFAIK, VDC with DDC allows you to customise, via the i-Drive, the individual parameters. For example (and you need to confirm with your SE or better still, the product manager at PML), it may be possible to have the steering assistance, throttle response and gearshift map in Sport settings but retain the dampers in Normal mode.

If I were getting the 535, I would probably add VDC. In standard trim, the 535 is already loaded to the gills with HUD, sunroof, etc (some of which I would have tried to delete as being more luxury than performance options). VDC is one of the flagship technologies of BMW. In the context of the purchase price of the 535, the option cost is only incremental. It would also facilitate the addition of 19" (or, if you wish, 20") rims when the M-sport versions are available, without detracting from the ride comfort. Obviously, YMMV.
Appreciate 0