08-31-2019, 09:45 AM   #38
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgulyas View Post
Bringing up an old post, but I just found this. My weekend project is water pump and thermostat on my ‘12 f10 N55.

I’ve seen some things online that say there’s a coolant drain plug on the block, but is there one on the N55? Also, everything I’ve seen references this nice little rad drain plug you can get to with a flat blade screwdriver. Pisses me off the N55 has the “fake” plug under the rad.

I tried loosening the sway bar bolts with 15mm 6-point but was unsuccessful... I couldn’t get them to budge. Bought a set of e-sockets to try today. Might go by Harbor Freight and get the $50 impact wrench if my weak a$$ can’t get those things loose.

Any other tips I need to know about??

John
Check the sway bar instructions for help. The E socket makes things easier. Just use/get a decently long breaker bar. They are tight and hard to turn.

I haven't DIYed a coolant change yet, but will be soon. The procedure also calls for a vacuum filling machine. ECS and others sell Schwaben-branded ones.

The official dealer procedure is remove the lower rad hose to drain, refill with the vacuum system.

I, too, am annoyed that useful things such as rad and block drains seem to have been omitted from the F10. There could be a block drain somewhere, but it's not mentioned in TIS at all.
Appreciate 0