View Single Post
      09-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #73
bazzer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d SE

All 520D Auto Owners - Serious Gearing Issue?

I bought a 520D SE with Sport Autobox new in July 2013 and am currently seriously regretting it due to a major flaw found in the gearbox programming in Comfort Mode.
When cruising up a slight incline in a 30mph speed limit zone, the car changes from 5th to 6th and the engine revs drop to just above idle at 1050rpm. This results in engine judder and unacceptable vibration, detracting from an otherwise superbly engineered car.
If I hit the steering wheel paddles to change down to get rid of the vibration / rumble with the engine labouring on the stall point, the car promptly changes back up and the revs drop to 900-1000rpm. The only cure is to move to sport mode where the engine revs go to 1400rpm + to take the engine out of the rumble zone. However constantly shifting in and out of sport mode every time there is a slight incline is a real pain and detracts from the "ultimate driving experience". In summary in comfort the gear change from 5th to 6th should be programmed about 400rpm higher to avoid the car entering the stall zone on change ups in comfort mode at 30mph
I have demonstrated this to the dealer and BMW acknowledge the issue but as yet no fix.
I have also taken delivery of an X3 2.0 X Drive Auto this year and this car does not exhibit the issue due to different gearbox programming?
Have any of you Bimmerfest readers (UK especially) experienced similar issue with the 8 speed gearbox as programmed in the 520D? I would like to see how widespread the issue is to gain momentum in instigating a fix.
Appreciate 0