View Single Post
      12-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #911
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Well With those I did not create any layers but I have noticed that AF does not work very well at all no matter the lens it seems. In low light or not it makes no difference. Sometimes it gets it right. It seems to have a hard time with clouds. I looked in all the originals I have and the AF point is dead center of the clouds. Here is the original with Exif attached.

Red clouds by BMG130, on Flickr

Here is a one shot of the bird I took a few days ago. You can see all the data in flickr. The AF point was actually dead center on the birds back. He was moving a bit in the wind as well.

Bird by BMG130, on Flickr

A lot of the shots with AF seem to just not grab the focus right or maybe it is back focusing a tad. I kow if there is little to no contrast it will hunt for focus and then just fail to get it. Total balcks or whites it just gets confused. I have tried various AF focusing modes. Not sure which one works better at this point. I usually leave it on Evaluative metering and have tried setting the AF selection point to automatic and to center point. Anytime I try to get something with less contrast it just has a hard time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
HP, I think you'd be better off not worrying so much about noise. I tried looking at those images in larger sizes on Flickr to diagnose what I'm seeing, but you don't post your Originals (which I understand). Still, there seems to be a slight OOF element all over your sunset images. Perhaps it's the PS layers that you mentioned. Could you post one with no post other than RAW conversion and setting of levels? Upload the Original size if you can.

You want big DOF for most scenics and sunsets, so f/11 is probably called for, despite low light. I can hand hold these, but it's probably due to months of shooting my 500mm hand held. Still, I keep the tripod in the trunk of the car and pull it out when sunsets get spectacular and I don't want to cut corners. Tripod, remote release, mirror lock up, low ISO, but still Expose Right.

Dave
Appreciate 0