View Single Post
      05-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #69
djs95
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Auto H and Parking Brake Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthBomber View Post
Many thanks for this Steve. Saved my bacon - I'd never have worked out how to back off the park brake (EMF) without this.

I'd add a couple of refinements to your operation:-
  • You need a 15mm spanner to hold the back nut on the calliper as you undo the 13mm nuts.
  • I found it easier to unbolt the calliper bolts and remove the assembly before removing the EMF as the EMF bolts are easier to access that way.
  • It is possible to bolt the EMF actuator on 180 degrees out if you do it before refitting the assembly - be aware!
  • The EMF piston is easily wound out (clockwise!) using a 7mm allen key.
  • You need to have the handbrake OFF in order to reset the pad wear indicator.
  • The handbrake and auto-hold all just reset automatically.
I successful replaced my rear rotors and pads on my 2011 x3 (F25) using the same steps outlined here. However, after my parking brake does nothing and the Auto H just displays a message about manually applying brakes.

Anyone have any experience with those issues?

------- EDIT - June 3, 2016 ------------
I had my local BMW service dept, where I have a good service "advisor", look at it quickly and they resolved it, for free, and only listed these details:
"REAR BRAKES NOT CALIBRATED AFTER REAR BRAKE REPLACEMENT BY OUTSIDE SHOP. PROPERLY CALIBRATED REAR ELCTRO MECHANICAL BRAKE CALIPERS"

I'm not what they exactly did to calibrate it...

Last edited by djs95; 06-03-2016 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Update status
Appreciate 0