View Single Post
      12-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #24
MajorBob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e88 135i, 2008 e60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked2001 View Post
So I accomplished the differential bushing swap this past Saturday, and I have a few DIY observations. If you are used to doing "heavy" car maintenance, this is not a complicated job. It is however time consuming, it took me 8 hrs with a run to the BMW dealership to complete the bushing swap along with the rear flex disc. To everyone considering to attempt this, a lift is a must. It think it would take at least two days doing this on the floor. Another note, if you have a stock exhaust I would consider changing the flex disc at the same time while your in there. This is what caused my trip BMW, my flex disc was cracking from the differential side, but not all the way through. The rear differential bushing was in the same condition. The KTC tool I used worked perfectly. I used anti-seize on the threads of the bolt to prevent galling. It took roughly 30 mins to remove the old bushing and install the new bushing using hand tools. The stock exhaust is a two man effort, and at least three pole jacks to get it down. All-in-all, it isn't the worst job I done on a car, but not the easiest. I honestly had more frustration with the serpentine belt tensioner than this. I am here for any questions you guys have.

Thanks for the details, I may be doing this in the next few weeks as well. I am getting a slight clunking sound from the rear on hard acceleration. My 535i is a CPO car but now I'm wondering if they will cover this. I'm confident in my ability to do this but will need to settle on jack stands since i don't have access to a lift. Can you briefly mention the order of events?, Remove exhaust, disconnect drive shaft etc...? Also, was it necessary to completely remove the Diff ? lastly, how did the front bushing look and should i expect to replace those as well? I will do the Flex disc also while i'm at it. Thanks again for any addition insight or tips, Rob
Appreciate 0