View Single Post
      06-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
that 550i has awesome wheels. this is a great step for the 5 after the ugly E60s.
Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I've seen the car in person at Sterling BMW next to a 2010 E60 (both black 550's) and I must say the front end of the new 5er looks like crap compared to the (silly) front end of the 2010 5er.

The body panel line between the hood and front fascia makes the design look cheap to me (like a Chrysler 300). And the bumper is just too tall and flat-faced; it looks like they were moving the clay model around the design studio and accidently smushed the nose against a wall and said "hey, that looks really good, let's keep it!" I've always liked the short overhang/blunt-nosed look of the 80's BMWs especially the E30, but those cars had character lines (non-integrated bumpers, non-aero headlights, etc.) which broke up the smoothness of the face; I think BMW tried to capture that design again, but it just doesn't look right.

The rest of the body looks like typically good BMW design, and the interior is just gorgeous.

Now if I could just muster up the nads to buy the M3 sedan they had next to it...
Appreciate 0