View Single Post
      05-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
gicamuci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535ix

Garage List
Well...I am posting this cause that picture showing the extension cable at the Combox location disappeared somehow and for people like me, having a retrofit Nav with an improper antenna. I should mention that until now I never had a 3D fix in the service menu and when position was displayed (in split screen) the altitude was 0 all the time. Most often I could not use the Nav cause it will just show a wrong location.

I just completed the antenna cable install and here is what I used/did in order to make use of the existing roof antenna for the head unit.

Just to be comfortable I used a 6m (~19.5 feet) antenna extension cable with Fakra male code Z one end and female code Z the other end (both of them, water blue).
I have BMW Assist active so to keep it happy I did reuse and install the mini GPS active antenna that came with my retrofit kit. You will need one with Fakra female code H (violet) but you can modify the male one on the combox to accept the code B (signal blue). Or better yet, you can use one with Fakra female code Z. 1m to 2m (3 to 6 feet) cable is enough cause it will stay in the trunk or like I choose to have it just under the rear deck where the middle mounting point for child restraint fixing system is (using it as well as a fishing point for the wire to pass it in the trunk) so the antenna will live under that plastic cover (green arrow in the image).
For reference I added the Combox connectors designation and images for what the mini antenna and extension cable looks like. An image with the track I choose to pass the cable from the Combox to the head unit. Finally a picture I took of my Combox just before starting, showing the original connections.
Attached Images

Last edited by gicamuci; 05-21-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0