View Single Post
      07-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #44
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I still want to know why they're stretching the N20 to 240hp but keep the N55 at 300hp .. the equivalent HP/L would have the 3.0T at 360.. which seems unimaginable given how prone to problems the 3.0T/TT's seem to be. What has changed with the 2.0T? Is it fundementally different so that it can run at that high HP/boost? Elsewhere someone pointed out the boost on the N20 is significantly higher than on the N55.
What gives, if problems start appearing it'll be quite a mess.
I don't get why they seem so cautious on everything else, why are they going to 240HP on this 2.0T ? Have they 'solved' the previous limitations on turbo engines?
It's to do with market positioning as well as the need to replace a number of previous models with one single engine.
A lot of 2.0t engines nowadays have torque of 350Nm (Saab & Audi), so they need the power to differentiate. 240ps on a 2.0t w/twin-scroll is not really a stretch.
The N55 doesn't need more power as the market currently doesn't require one, but it can easily do around 340ps as evidenced by the BMW Performance power kit.
120ps per litre isn't really a big specific power output for turbo engines nowadays, but it seems that it's easier to extract the extra power if the engine is small.
I do hope all 5ers will be eligible for EFV tax rebate after fitting start/stop function.
Appreciate 0