View Single Post
      08-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Considering Joining the fold . .diesel anyone?

Hello,

This seems like an awesome site with friendly and knowledgeable posters.

I'm coming out of a 2008 Audi TT. Absolutely love the car and wanted to hang on to it for another year . . .but it's out of warranty and the DSG has been a nightmare, a new steering rack, it's been down the past 2 weeks while it waits for a flywheel . . .nightmare to love that car. Anyhow!

So kids are getting bigger, and while I initially thought I was going to go for a 3-series coupe, the 5 series has my eye. Brand new design so I won't get the switch bug when the new 3 series comes out in a year or two . . .and has all the space I'd ever need without going to crazy.

I'm thinking of getting the 520d. I'm Canadian, but live in Taiwan. Obviously, I'd love to get a 530d, but it adds over $30 000USD to the car and puts that car at the $115 000 USD range . . .getting a bit crazy! So . . .if I'm going to go for this car the only price points it makes sense at is the 528 or the 520d. And looking at the comparison on speed etc, I think real world driving the d has a compelling case. Diesel is about 12-15% cheaper than premium fuel here, engines are taxed on displacement, (saving about $1500USD per year). The 535 sells at a price similar to the 530d, and with that choice, I'd go d.

So . . .without talking myself back into the oil burners (had a 2007 Audi A3 TDI . . .and really loved the torque down low in city driving and endless highway runs of over 1200km on a tank!) Anyone in here driven a 520d? Obviously not a rocket ship, but enough grunt to push this car around at a reasonable gait?

If I go for it...I will only get real leather seats and probably a sun roof as options. Pretty much everything else is standard that I want and need.

And a last question, can anyone point me to the V Spoke styling 236 rims? I have no idea what they look like. If I order the car now...I'm looking at a November/December delivery according to the dealer here in Taipei.

Pretty excited about the car and about to pull the trigger . . .once I finalize that I can truly live with a 520d . . .
Appreciate 0