09-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
There might be different views on modifications like this. But, IMHO we should all try to use a language when we write our views that we also would use if we were talking to that person face to face. I know the internet doesn't always work like that, but there are different ways of getting our message across. If we actually want the receiver to listen, it's rarely useful to wind him up with the words we chose...

UK and Germany has little or no taxation on a new car, so not a big deal to buy a M5 there.

In Germany a new M5 starts at USD 132.000. As an example you would have to pay the same starting price as that for a 530i Touring in Norway. The M5 starts at USD 320.000in Norway... The M5 is therefor available to a very different group of people in the US, UK, Germany and many other countries than it is in countries with high taxation.
Thanks for this. It's sad how language degrades when someone is hiding behind a computer screen. I certainly wouldn't tell someone to hang themselves during a face-to-face conversation. I don't expect this level of immaturity from BMW drivers.

I'm not familiar with taxation in other countries. Why is it so high? Seems ridiculous to me. People in the US complain that cars are already expensive. Unfortunately for us that also means a lot of brands strip their cars of features that are available in Europe to lower costs. (Or they're afraid of litigation.) We also have silly regulations, like different headlight beam patterns and amber reflectors that spoil the look of most modern cars.

I appreciate someone aspiring to have something they cannot attain for whatever reason, like outrageous taxes. But for those that do have something it diminishes/cheapens the privilege. I liken it to watches. I've saved and purchased some nice watches over the years. When I see someone buying a fake Rolex or other brand I get upset. They get the "cachet" of wearing it without actually having supported the brand. It's unfair. I spent thousands, you spent a hundred. Why should you get the same "respect" that I do?

It's the same with cars. I've seen pictures online of people converting Civics to Bugattis, Saturns to Ferraris, etc. It's a cheap way to get the look of something without actually paying for it.

Sadly though nobody will bother reading this and will continue flaming me for having an opinion.