View Single Post
      03-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #49
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

I did get a quote from Bimmer-tech to use the USB and aux socket instead of the Media cradle but it wasn't cheap and as the car is Brand new I was a bit worried about the warranty if I changed it. So I bought a second hand 32G 3GS iphone and a Media cradle from ebay for the same price as the modification. - I will just leave the phone in the cradle for the BMW apps and use my Android phone for normal phone calls. This solves the issue of having to keep restarting the the BMW connected app after every phone call.

Don't know what the modification involved whether it was just a new socket and wiring loom or whether there is a board of electronics as well. But apparently if you do the mod it disables the cradle. This way I have the cradle and the USB and Aux sockets. (But from memory if you plug into the Aux socket it disables the cradle for sound)

Potentially if BMW do ever release any apps for other phones such as Android then the modification would probably be a better bet. Have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0