View Single Post
      07-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #53
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I agree reaching the 240hp figure so that it doesn't appear to be a downgrade for marketing, and also increased performance figures.. which makes one think they are 'pushing' for $ reasons.
I realize 240hp on a 2.0T is not pushing it, but those other cars are performance and hardly your volume sedan, except for VW (is it?) but they do have problems after a while(?). By problems i mean don't automatically assume a clear-sailing 10yr ownership of a turbo engine without something going wrong, on the majority of cars. Just guessing on my part, but the mechanics of turbo imply such (or not?).
Ironic if even the carmakers could car less what an engine looks like in 10yrs, but what ceo would still be around in that time? Alot of what we are seeing is market realities +eco mandates, rather than engineering reality, its more like engineering for profit. Which has to exist, I realize, but history has shown when they push it too much one way, the wheels WILL fall off, and kaboom! they will start to focus on reliability as they rebuild and it starts again..
Those Evos & WRXs are performance cars but at the same time they're also volume cars, with lots being produced over the yrs. Will there be problems over the years? It mostly depends on maintenance as well as the way how u treat the engine.
BMW have always invested in their R&D & they use each generation of engine for at least 10yrs, this N20 is no different & a whole host of bread & butter BMWs will be using this engine. They cannot fail with this engine or else the company will lose a lot of sales. It's not like the N54 or M60 V8 where problems with them won't cause too much loss in sales. I think they're pushing this N20 less than their NA engines in terms of specific power outputs, for example, the 3.0 N53 pushes out 90.7ps/litre & the N52 at 86ps/litre. So I think this engine is relatively less stressed than a lot of their NA engines.
Btw, MB & VAG are in this force induction game for far longer than BMW & they're hitting far better performance & economy figures & customers have long accepted it.
Appreciate 0