07-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Oneminde
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
Totally agree with you, diesel rules in Europe, but here in USA, Majority of gas stations don't even have diesel for sale.
Here in USA we like big gasoline powered V8 because $3.80 per gallon in still very affordable.

Anyways, have you purchased the car yet?
pearl white will look great!!! i drove white F10 550i and i loved the colour!!
Fuel price is one argument yes. A gallon [3.75 liters] 95 octane will cost me $8.35,- while a gallon diesel will cost me $8.29,- so not a huge difference no, BUT, the difference is found in the volume of fuel the engine use. Since gasoline is C8H18 and diesel is C16H34 this then mean that you get roughly twice the amount of hydrocarbons but interestingly enough, not more energy, they are roughly 46kj/kg. But different property's and compression ratio [with diesel being the higher] These things add to the fuel consumption.

The numbers used is an average and do not reflect every user, driving style or terrain, these things will differ

535d
Fuel consumption town; 8.5 l/100km - 27 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway; 5.1 l/100km - 46 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption; 7.9 l/100km - 29 miles/gallon

550d
Fuel consumption town: 7.1 l/100km - 33 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway: 5.8 l/100km - 40 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption: 6.3 l/100km - 37 miles/gallon

535i
Fuel consumption town: 11.8 l/100km - 19 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway: 6.6 l/100km - 35 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption: 8.5 l/100km - 27 miles/gallon

550i
Fuel consumption town: 15.4 l/100km - 15 miles/gallon
Fuel consumption highway: 7.5 l/100km - 13 miles/gallon
Average fuel consumption: 10.4 l/100km - 22 miles/gallon

So there we have it, the average fuel consumption and as we can see, the 550d will get roughly twice the mileage compared to the 550i. The 550d is a straight 6 and 3.5 liters while the 550i is a V8 and 4.4 liters. This ofc will reflect the the average fuel consumption. The gasoline does not stand a chance compared to the diesel in terms of strength [torcue] and is a key factor since the engine can work with its full potential lower in the RPM range.

If this was 10 years ago, I would not have these debates. It was gasoline and a straight 6 - period. I love BMW's straight six, the sound and how the engine performs, I really do. So while a V8's sound is very nice, the sixer will be a more obvious choice, after all, that is the engine that defines BMW. I will admit that the sound of the 550i/650i is very nice and I would not mind having that engine, looking at the fuel consumption, then the choice is not so obvious anymore, unless one is loaded witch cash.

If it is difficult to get diesel, then you are left with gasoline, so not much of a choice. But looking at fuel consumption and economical aspects, the diesel engines are an obvious choice and lets not forget the power output the diesel engine give, a clear winner. The sound a V8 generates cannot be the only choice [can it ?] even if it sounds "better" than a sixer. I have similar debates with other friends who argue for a 4 cylinder engine. A European and Japanese 2.0 l 4 cyl engine can produce upwards of 500 HP and retain a 40-50 miles/gallon figure... that is impressive I must say, but I am not that keen on the sound.

So yes, looking at what you get with a diesel, you are absolutely correct, diesel is huge in Europe.

No have I have not purchased the car and was something I mentioned in the opening of this tread. I am a student and getting an education will take me probably 4 or so more years. Two of these years will be spent on paying off a few loans I have and then I will be able to save up for the car over the next 2 years or so. Yeah, I am looking at, at least 4 years before I gan purchase the car and a loan is out of the question. So this blog and project is at an early stage, but I have the time so I am not worried. There is also another advantage to the time even if I would like to pick one up right away, and that is the value loss on the car, this value loss equals less money to spend on the car itself, and if the service on the car is good [something I will look for] and considering the things I will do to it to make it personal, this means that the financial difference between a new or fairly new is the equipment and stuff I put on it. I consider that a smart choice, but that is me.

I will do a new entry later today.

Here is an article on the M550d.
http://ae-plus.com/features/bmw-trip...bo-diesel_2636

Last edited by Oneminde; 07-26-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0