View Single Post
      02-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #182
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
If you re-read my post you'll see that I said the alignment check was the first step and that I noticed very little improvement.
Having spent 43 years in aviation engineering, I'm well acquainted with both the theory and practice of using nitrogen in tyres and that is why I was initially sceptical as to any benefit.
I verge on OCD as far as tyre pressures are concerned and check them with a calibrated gauge at least once a week. Through experimentation I have found the F10 to be extremely sensitive to very small changes and I have found the optimum to be 30psi front 33psi rear for a lightly loaded car. I have identical pressures with the nitrogen.
I certainly agree with 'Popular Mechanics' from a theoretical standpoint; however, my practical experience tells me otherwise - don't forget that I said I was trying hard to disbelieve it, but after 600 miles and ten days, I have to concede that it works for me.
This will not be the first time that actual practice contradicts a theory and to the sceptics I can only reiterate my earlier suggestion - for the sake of £5 give it a try.
Point taken. I'll give it a try if i come across it for a reasonable cost..

Actually, I just got an idea.. jack up the front PSI .. my current settings of 31.2/33 are a habit from a different car, the f10 is so soft, i wonder what would happen if i had the tires harder..

update: increased fronts to match back at 33 (29cold@13celsius) and its more bumpy, with no improvement in feel.. =sucks

Last edited by grimlock; 02-18-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0